Friday, December 28, 2012

You have fought enough for equal opportunity, why not fight for equal respect now?

This is an entry to the KTM blog

“A cold night and ornate streets full of roaming crowd”
It is the specialty of Thamel, a famous place of Kathmandu. Thousands of opportunities lie here and thousands of crimes also takes place here. It has been a boon for some and a nightmare for rest. It takes enough gut to see beyond the curtain in this place. And I saw it; people doing bad deeds deliberately. They are not different in today’s Nepal. Actually, they have greater privilege than a normal Nepali citizen. The “they” that I am referring are the third genders. Some even hesitate to call themselves a gay. I guess I shouldn’t explain what a third-gender means. Having enough privilege, yet they are doing wrong. It was yesterday night when I was returning from Thamel that I saw them openly with short skirt and male voice, puffing the smoke rings and awaiting the prey, in other words, to deceive people for money.

For an instance, if I happen to be that normal person, I would have fallen in their trap and wasted enough money on them. My Mama, also returning from wedding ceremony, told that those third-gendered people, roam around Thamel and catch their prey, followed by looting them by soothing.

A question arose in my mind. “Why do they do this? Can’t they work for living? Is this what their rights have given? Government has provided them an identity and rights”

It was a coincidence that my Mama happened to know one of them due to which I was able to have conversation with them, and I could get my answer.

The very first thing that the third-gendered person asked me was “Will you give me job? If yes, I am ready to give up.” I was speechless when I heard it. It was partially true. She preferred to call her “she”. So, I will quote her as “she”. Further questioning, I came to know that she had tried for jobs after the government gave them rights and quotas in government offices. She told that the placement could raise her financial status but she asked about her respect in society. Would society accept her as others? NO!

I couldn’t answer the question into her face because answering that with optimism would surely lead her to more frustration and more anger towards society. So, I tell it now. Not anything can be changed within a day. Rome was not built in a day. It is true that the society is very traditional and do not accept global changes towards perspectives. But that doesn’t mean that they have to stop seeking for change. Development happens gradually. One must work with optimism to develop; mature the thoughts of people. Moreover, people doesn’t change their perception with a compulsion, rather it changes with the dedication towards them and follow Gandhi’s creed. That is, if anyone slaps you in right cheek, give your left cheek. It will be an enough catalyst for a change; a revolution in orthodox or ill-practiced ‘normal’ mind.

Third-gender people are also humans and they are not different from us. And they also have right to get equal respect in the society as a normal human being has. Finally, I have concluded that they are not following the wrong deed simply because they intend to cheat. It’s true that they have right for opportunity to work with the society, but where are their rights for respect? It cannot be provided by the government. It is only possible with the change in perceptions and thoughts within us regarding their existence, and their god-gifted nature. Not only they are responsible. We, straights, are also responsible for this change. So, Why not let them live the prosperous life of society, honour and dignity, if they deserve it? For third-genders, you have fought enough for equality in opportunity, now why not work for changing the so called normal people’s perceptions towards you and leave the wrong-deeds?

No comments:

Post a Comment